Social Media Guidelines
Chanel believes in full, fair and effective disclosures relating to influencers’ relationship with our brand in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s Guides Concerning Endorsements and Testimonials (http://www.ftc.gov/os/2009/10/091005revisedendorsementguides.pdf). As such, we require that you adhere to the following guidelines.
- Disclose Connection to Chanel – When posting about or endorsing Chanel or our products, you must clearly disclose your “material connection” with Chanel. “Material connections” include monetary compensation, free products or services, in-kind gifts, travel accommodations, special access privileges or any other benefits or incentives. Keep in mind that tags, pins, and similar ways of showing you like a brand or product are endorsements.
Maintain Clear and Prominent Disclosure – The disclosure must be made in close proximity to any
statements about Chanel or our products. This disclosure should be clear, conspicuous and prominent, and should
not be buried behind links. In addition, the consumer should not be required to click on, scroll down, click
“more,” or mouse over a link in order to view the disclosure. Disclosures are required regardless of any space
limitations of the medium (e.g., Instagram or Twitter), where the disclosure can be made via hashtags, such as
#sponsored, #paid, #ad, #WorkingWithChanel, #ChanelPartner, or #GiftFromChanel (as applicable) and should
preferably be made at the beginning of the post. If the disclosure is included within a caption (e.g. on
Instagram), please include the disclosure within the first 2 lines of the caption “above the fold” or before the
“more” link. In general, please avoid placing the disclosure in a string of multiple hashtags or links, as
readers may skip over the hashtag. Other examples of permissible disclosures include (depending on the
circumstances): “thank you Chanel for sending me this product to try” (when applicable) or “I am pleased to
partner with Chanel.” Simply stating “Thanks Chanel” or “#partner” or using abbreviations, such as #spon or
#collab, would not be a sufficient disclosure.
A few other tips:
- If your endorsement is in a picture on a platform like Snapchat and Instagram Stories, superimpose the disclosure over the picture and make sure viewers have enough time to notice and read it.
- If making an endorsement in a video, the disclosure should be in the video and not just in the description uploaded with the video. Viewers are more likely to notice disclosures made in both audio and video. Some viewers may watch without sound and others may not notice superimposed words.
- If making an endorsement in a live stream, the disclosure should be repeated periodically so viewers who only see part of the stream will see the disclosure.Do not rely on a social media platform’s disclosure tool (e.g., Facebook, Instagram or YouTube) as your disclosure.
- Give Your Honest and Truthful Opinions – Your statements should always reflect your honest and truthful opinions and actual experiences. However, we do require that all posts be in good taste and free of inappropriate language, hate speech and/or any content that promotes bigotry, racism or discrimination.
- Only Make Factual Statements That Are Truthful and Can Be Verified - In an effort to be accurate, please refer to all Chanel-provided materials, if available, when developing content pertaining to us. Most importantly, you should make only factual statements about Chanel or Chanel’s product’s characteristics or quality which you know for certain are true, supportable and can be verified.
- Respect Intellectual Property Rights – Intellectual Property (“IP”) is the group of legal rights to works that people create or invent, which typically include copyright, trademark, and trade secret rights, as well as the right to use someone's name, likeness or voice. Examples include photographs, videos, music, trademarks/logos, personal names/likenesses (including celebrities’ names/likenesses), and writings. You should never post or share any content that violates or infringes the IP rights of any third party. A good rule of thumb is, if in doubt, do not post it.
- Comply with other policies and laws – You must comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations, as well as the terms, conditions, guidelines and policies of any social media platform you are on.
- Respect Confidentiality – We may share confidential information with you during the course of our work that is helpful for you to know but is not intended for you to share (“Confidential Information”). Confidential Information includes, but is not limited to, any data or information, oral or written, that relates to any our business activities, technology, developments, software, methods, or trade secrets. You shall maintain the Confidential Information in strict confidence and shall not disclose to any third party, publish or copy any part of the Confidential Information, unless expressly agreed upon by Chanel in writing. You must return or destroy all Confidential Information immediately upon Chanel’s request.
CHANEL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO UPDATE OR CHANGE THESE GUIDELINES AT ANY TIME, TO MONITOR YOUR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE GUIDELINES AND TO TERMINATE YOUR PARTICIPATION IN ANY APPLICABLE CAMPAIGN OR PROGRAM IN THE EVENT OF ANY NONCOMPLIANCE.