Allowing for an infinite combination of colours and materials, tweed is an eternal code for the House of CHANEL. For the CHANEL Fall-Winter 2022/23 Ready-to-Wear collection, presented in a show at the Grand Palais Éphémère in a set swathed entirely in tweed for the occasion, Virginie Viard invokes a bold tribute to this fabric and its landscape.
Ambassadors and friends of the house at the show
JENNIE, Lyna Khoudri, Georgia May Jagger, Venus Williams, Ellie Bamber, Ibeyi, Soo Joo Park, Caroline de Maigret and Rebecca Marder attending the show, in a décor swathed in tweed for the CHANEL Fall-Winter 2022/23 Ready-to-Wear collection.
Dancing in the morning mist. Tremendously lively, model Vivienne Rohner is filmed by Inez & Vinoodh wearing tweed for the CHANEL Fall-Winter 2022/23 show. For this collection entirely devoted to tweed, Virginie Viard explores this eternal code of the House of CHANEL.
Photographs by Inez & Vinoodh.
Through the countryside a river runs. From a bird’s eye view, mysterious waters meet like a mirror. As if in a dream, a bridge of bricks and stone appears, then an arched viaduct and a signpost: RIVER TWEED.
Teaser directed by Inez & Vinoodh.
1. geography, named after the River Tweed, located on the border between England and Scotland.
2. association, a carded woollen fabric, plain weave or twill, usually two-coloured.
3. an alteration of tweel, the Scottish term for twill, a fabric with a warp and weft effect.
4. metonymy, ‘tweeds’ refers to garments (suit or coat) made from this fabric.
5. properties, very soft, strong and comfortable, providing protection against the elements. Composed from a multiple arrangement of threads, it allows for a play of materials and colours. It is unique and identifiable.
6. historical, Gabrielle Chanel first borrowed it from menswear in the mid-1920s, during a trip to Scotland. She then asked her artisans to create exceptional shades, inspired by the colours of the plants and the beauty of the Highland countryside. Its use was no longer limited to outdoor activities, it became urban thanks to the CHANEL suit. From 1983, Karl Lagerfeld featured it as embroidered and fringed on every element of a collection, including the accessories.
7. Virginie Viard is dedicating the Fall-Winter 2022/23 Ready-to-Wear collection to tweed.
∞ TWEED. An eternal code at the House of CHANEL.
Photographs by Inez & Vinoodh