SALZBURG'S BEST PLACES
BY THADDAEUS ROPAC
- Café Bazar - located directly on the bank of the river Salzach (a legendary place in front of the theatre. The favourite café of Marlene Dietrich and Maximilian Schell. The great directors and writers ever since have gone in and out)
- Café Tomaselli - situated in the heart of the old town, where already Mozart got inspired. Maybe the most traditional and popular coffeehouse north of the Alps.
- Triangel - Festival District, Philharmonikergasse (a place where Anna Netrebko and Plácido Domingo are dining during the summer)
- Köchelverzeichnis - in the historic Roman alley called Steingasse (a pleasant small wine tavern)
- Magazin - at the foot of the Mönchsberg, Augustinergasse (for a delicious dinner as well as for afterwork drinks)
- Sacherbar - next to Café Bazar (a bar pianist plays a repertoire of wonderful cheesy songs. It still the grandest place to go)
- Bar Hotel Stein - near the State Bridge (stunning view onto the old scenery of Salzburg)
Walks and Places
- Festival District with its three legendary opera houses. On the adjacent places Furtwänglerpark and Toscaninihof you pass by sculptures of Anselm Kiefer, Erwin Wurm, Stephan Balkenhol and the recently renovated University Church by the famous baroque architect Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach.
- Mönchsberg with the Museum der Moderne, its Restaurant m32 (one of the most beautiful views) and art in public space by Not Vital, James Turrell and Mario Merz.
- Kohlmayr´s Gaisbergspitz with a 360° panorama
- Kapuzinerberg with its Franziskischlössl and the Christmas market during Christmas season
- Morning run in Hellbrunn with its wide parks
- Salzkammergut: with its beautiful lakes (my recommendation: a hike along the Fürbergweg on the Wolfgangsee combined with lunch/dinner at Holzingerwirt / Haus am Hang / Angusta)