EDINBURGHS BESTE PLÄTZE
VON STELLA TENNANT
- Fruitmarket Gallery: Cafe and book shop.
- Surgeon's hall museum.
- Valvona & Crolla deli and restaurant.
- Route one: Skate shop.
- Murrayfield ice rink.
- Transgression & Saughton skate parks.
- Summerhall and its Royal Dick pub: Great venue with interesting events / exhibitions etc..
- Scottish gallery of Modern Art: Beautiful architecture with Charles Jencks land art outside, good cafe with garden and free parking.
- The Dean Gallery: Just across the road from the Modern.
- The forth rail and road bridges.
- Arthur's Seat to stretch your legs and get a 360' view of the city.
- Dunsapie Loch and Duddingston loch: Where Raeburn's famous minister skated (this painting can be seen in the Nathional gallery of Scotland).
- Kay's bar off India st.
- The Botanic garden.
... And more! Edinburgh is a beautiful city to explore on foot, because the city is built on a series of rocky hills, the perspective is constantly changing. From the tops you look out over the sea, or over the Firth of Forth to Fife. Often a church or monument will frame the view. As Robert Louis Stevenson wrote it is 'a dream in masonry and living rock'.
Photo © Benoit Peverelli